Kuki Inpi South West Refutes JTCM Allegation Linking Kukis to Noney Clash

Spread the love

JTCM portrayed Naga factional gunfight as Kuki militant attack on farmers; Kuki Inpi South West says probe found no evidence, warns against distortion of facts amid fragile inter-community relations

Edited by Elvish Haokip, Kukiland Express Desk

Kanggui: May 24, 2026
Kuki Inpi South West Sadar Hills has strongly refuted allegations made by the Working Committee of Joint Tribes Council Manipur that Kuki militants were behind an armed attack on Naga farmers in Noney district. In a clarification issued Friday, the Inpi termed the claims “baseless and unsubstantiated” and said a thorough inquiry by the body found no link between Kuki armed groups and the May 22 incident at Pongringlong (Charoi Pandongba) near Tupul. The Inpi added that circulating unverified reports risks deepening communal mistrust at a time when Manipur needs de-escalation and dialogue.

Women gathered during a protest in a hill district of Manipur
Women from affected areas participate in a roadside protest in Noney district amid rising tensions linked to recent armed clashes and allegations between community organisations.

The JTCM had alleged that Kuki militants carried out “indiscriminate and continuous firing” on innocent Naga farmers around 2:20 pm on May 22, calling it a “direct assault on humanity, peace, and coexistence.” The council warned that Kuki militants and their leadership would be held responsible for any consequences if such attacks continued, including assaults on unarmed Naga civilians or the continued detention of six alleged Naga hostages. It further expressed concern over what it described as the silence of state and central governments, cautioning that failure to intervene could lead to “catastrophic consequences.”

Responding to the charge, Kuki Inpi South West Sadar Hills said reports blaming Kuki groups appeared to be deliberate attempts to distort facts and create communal discord. While condemning any attack on innocent civilians, the Inpi urged all parties and organisations to refrain from sharing unverified information that could escalate tensions between communities. The body stressed that misrepresentation of incidents in conflict-affected districts harms collective efforts to restore normalcy and justice across Manipur.

Tamenglong and Noney districts have seen intermittent clashes between rival Naga underground factions in recent months, particularly between the Zeliangrong United Front faction led by Jeanchui and the NSCN-IM. Several gunfights between the two groups have forced villagers to flee to safer areas, and women from affected villages have previously staged protests along National Highway-37 demanding an end to violence. Security sources and local monitors have noted that factional hostilities, not inter-community attacks, have driven the recent instability in the area.

Reiterating its stand for peace, the Kuki Inpi underscored the importance of communal harmony and called for collective efforts toward justice during the ongoing crisis in Manipur. The organisation appealed to civil bodies, media, and government agencies to verify facts before issuing public statements, warning that misattribution of violence could undermine fragile inter-community relations and derail peace-building initiatives across the state.

Official clarification statement released by Kuki Inpi South West Sadar Hills
Press statement issued by Kuki Inpi South West Sadar Hills rejecting allegations that Kuki militants were involved in the May 22 firing incident near Tupul in Noney district.